Monday, April 15, 2013

Guest Post - Keeping Hope Alive: My Experience as a Caregiver

The following post was written by Cameron Von St. James. Cameron is the husband to Heather, a Mesothelioma survivor. This is his story about how becoming a caregiver to someone with cancer changed his life.


Nothing in life can prepare you for the moment when you become a caregiver for someone with cancer. I remember the day it happened to me. On November 21, 2005, my wife was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma, and our lives plunged into chaos. Just over three months earlier, we were blessed by the birth of our only child, Lily. Now, instead of preparing joyfully for her first Christmas, we were fighting a battle to save Heather’s life and keep our family intact.
Cameron, Lily, and Heather Von St. James
 
 

 
The responsibilities of being a caregiver for a cancer patient fell upon me immediately. When the doctor gave us the news, he explained a little about the disease. Then he explained our treatment options. Heather could be treated at a local university hospital or seek treatment in a regional facility where great oncology work was being done. Neither of these facilities, however, had a dedicated mesothelioma program. The final option was to fly to Boston for treatment under the direction of one of the world’s leading mesothelioma physicians. I looked at Heather, expecting her to respond in some way. She remained silent, but her face screamed for someone to help her. Immediately, I blurted out, “Get us to Boston.” It was the first of many difficult decisions I would have to help make concerning my wife’s care during this time.
  

Over the next two months, chaos ensued. Heather had to quit her full-time job, and I was only able to work part time while caring for her and Lily. Meanwhile, I also needed to make travel arrangements, find care for Lily while Heather underwent treatment in Boston and more. Along with the overwhelmingly long list of things to do, I found myself facing my darkest fears. What if we spent all our money on treatment only for Heather to die anyway? Would I be left alone, a broke widower trying to raise a little girl? More than once, I sank to the floor and sobbed, but that didn’t last long. I needed to be strong for Heather. I never once let her see how hard this was for me. She needed a source of strength, not more fear.
  

Every time things seemed impossible, help would come. It came from family, friends and complete strangers. Sometimes the help was financial. Other times encouraging words gave me the strength to carry on. I learned the importance of accepting help from others. In fact, one of the most important pieces of advice I could give to those who find themselves in this situation is to always accept the help that is available. I learned the hard way that there is no room for pride when you’re battling cancer. Use all of your resources. This will help you make it through the most difficult days.

 

Being a caregiver for a cancer patient is difficult. You will experience stress, uncertainty and a barrage of difficult emotions. Unlike a difficult job or tough classes in school, this responsibility is not something from which you can simply walk away. Allow yourself to feel negative emotions, but do not allow yourself to be overcome by them. Hold onto hope, and continue to use every resource available to help you along the way.

 

Our lives didn’t return to normal for years. My wife underwent major mesothelioma surgery, chemotherapy and radiation over the following months. Finally, despite the odds against her, she was declared cancer free and remains so to this day.



When our daughter was two years old, I returned to school while continuing to work full time. I graduated from my studies in information technology with high honors, and my class selected me as the speaker for commencement. I remember speaking of my wife’s cancer diagnosis. Had anyone asked on that day, receiving the diagnosis, where I would be in five years, I would never have guessed that I would be graduating, having accomplished a lifelong dream and celebrating it with my healthy wife and daughter. Never give up hope, and always keep fighting for the ones you love.


 

Cameron is a member of the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance. To follow Cameron's story, visit his blog at ://www.mesothelioma.com/blog/authors/cameron/

No comments:

Post a Comment